Tuesday, September 4, 2007

They'll never understand

My brother and SIL live in New York. My SIL has a very good job with a glossy, high fashion magazine. Previous to her working there I did not buy this magazine because A) the “looks” are straight off the runway and I um live in the Midwest? B) it would take three house payments to buy even one frock and C) even if I did live in New York or L.A. and had truly ridiculous disposable income, I’m 5’3’’ and the last time I checked haute couture was not designed for short people.

Anywhoo, I now subscribe to the glossy, high fashion magazine so I can pretend to possess extensive fashion knowledge when speaking with SIL. Plus there are pretty, pretty pictures of fabulous shoes and bags. With spiffy ideas for how to wear the latest fashion for the current decade of your life. So my girls and I have come to enjoy perusing the pages. And even though we may never be able to afford what’s in the magazine? When the permutation of the latest style trickles down to a store near us? We’ll recognize it and wear it with flair!

But men? Just. Don’t. Get. It. Case in point. We were driving to the lake this weekend and Precious Oldest was flipping through the fall fashion edition of the glossy, high fashion magazine to check out the 140 BEST BAGS. Boyfriend was reading over her shoulder when the following conversation ensued:

Boyfriend: “$3,000 for a purse?”

Precious Oldest: “It’s not a purse it’s a clutch, it’s Chanel and it’s gorgeous.”

Boyfriend “It’s so small. You couldn't even fit a wallet in it.”

Precious Oldest: (Sigh) “It’s clearly an evening bag. I wouldn't need a wallet; just lip gloss, ID, and mad money.”

Boyfriend: “I don’t get it.”

Precious Oldest: “It’s pretty, it makes you feel good.”

Boyfriend: “For $3,000?”

Precious Oldest: (SIGH) “For God’s sake it’s CHANEL it’s a CLASSIC!”

Boyfriend: “How will people know its Chanel?”

Precious Oldest: “They don’t have to know, I’d know.”

Boyfriend :“How about this, get a brown paper bag and put three thousand dollars in it and carry THAT around.”

Precious Oldest: (Banging her head against the car window) “NO, NO, NO, you don’t get it. A paper bag? Is not cute and would not make me feel good!!”

Boyfriend: “Well I’d feel just great; there would be room for my wallet, my car keys andI’d still have my three thousand dollars.”

Precious Oldest: “GAAAAHHHH!!!”

And no sweetheart, even when they grow up they still don’t get it.

No comments: