Saturday, December 29, 2007

Where's the damn Christmas Spirit now?

THIS is the time of year I want to crawl back in bed and pull the covers up over my head. I bitch and moan with the best about too much to do in too little time leading up to Christmas. But in reality, if my end goal was to sit with my feet up on the evening of December 23rd drinking a glass of champagne in front of the fire? I had FOUR weeks between Thanksgiving weekend and Christmas Eve Eve to get most everything done. And with a few tiny exceptions everything was done.

Oh the cooking can't be helped. There is simply only so much that can be done ahead. But overall? I had a pretty relaxing holiday. AND I had the Saint's family staying here. And I cooked Christmas Eve Dinner (but only for seven this year), Christmas Breakfast AND Christmas Dinner (now for thirteen). And we throw a small birthday party Christmas afternoon. So yeah, the afternoon of December 26th finds me a wee bit tired.

But now everything has to come down, get washed/cleaned and stored for another year. It is not fun, there is no anticipatory excitement helping spur things along. And who wants to drag the process out for four days let alone four weeks? So here I sit trying to figure out a way to motivate myself to undo Christmas.

If anyone has a thought as to how to make this less painful? I'll be right here waiting for suggestions. No, seriously, I'll wait.

7 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

You have to wait a little longer, until you are really sick of the stuff. January 6 or later. You can't do it while you're still decompressing from all that holiday cheer.

Mary Alice said...

How about have a little open house for New Years...that way you are working towards a beautifully clean slated New Years house?

Patti said...

I am with you sister. I have the same feelings and was posting about not wanting to be in this place around the same time you were posting. It is just a struggle to find something to look forward to what with all the stuff to organize and put away (and I didn't get much out) I think the best thing to do would be to take a trip...get the hell out of town...but sadly Christmas sort of took up all the extra cash...and it would all just be waiting for us when we came back. Bleah.

Anonymous said...

When you figure it out, let me know!

Anonymous said...

I had it today. I couldn't stand walking around the tree any longer. Picking up the ornaments that the cats decided to knock off. The presents that didn't make it .to.their.new.homes. I told Mr. Hot to take the dog for a walk - told Shortman to get his ass upstairs, and took down the tree. And put away the rest of the decorations.

Problem is, three weeks from now, I'll find something that I missed and forgot to box up.

At the risk of sounding Nike-ish. Just Do It. ;-)

Fannie said...

SC: WAAAHHH! But I like to have it DOWN by Epiphany!

Mary Alice: Orange Bowl party Thursday, a goal?

Queen: We need another cocktail meeting - STAT!

New Diva: Not thew kick in the pants I'm looking for.

Hot: SIGH. I know, I know. I did do the kitchen, bathrooms and sunroom yesterday. I think Paco's fate will be sealed today. This is the problem with vomiting Christmas all over your house, TOO MUCH STUFF.

Shelley said...

I am so in touch with this. I hate taking the stuff down, because it's just work, without the Christmas to look forward to. I haven't done it yet, although all the stuff will be boxed up and back in the garage this weekend. No, really.