Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I got my snow day!

Well technically an ice day, but who cares! First off, let me begin by saying that yesterday I was still in a great deal of discomfort. Enough so that I took the heating pad in to work. And USED it. My boss was so shocked by my little display of weakness that she sent me home in the early afternoon, after having extracted a promise that if the roads were bad in the morning I would NOT risk further injury by tying to be brave and come in to the office. (Hee!)

So I did what any sensible person asshat would do. Went home and decided to bake the gingerbread dough chilling in the wine cooler downstairs refrigerator into appealing holiday cookies. To say this was not a good idea is an understatement. I’m pretty sure there is a baking god somewhere in this world, and when I find him? I’m going to kick his ass. I had tried a new recipe (Why? WHY?) and the dough was a disaster. Sticky beyond belief. I struggled for about twenty minutes before dumping the whole lot in the trash and making a new batch from the OLD recipe. By then the kitchen was an unmitigated disaster and I was in PAIN people! Then I took some advice from the Drawer Queen and made the Saint take me out to dinner. A few glasses of wine, a few hours with the heating pad and off I went into the arms of Morpheus.

And it turns out I CAN PREDICT THE FUCKING FUTURE PEOPLE!!! In the wee hours of the morning? The power went out! So my alarm did not go off! But the power came the fuck back on, so I had heat and lights and coffee when I finally got up! And I read the paper! In my PJ’s! And watched two episodes of “Project Runway”! And I had french bread with brie and a glass of wine for lunch! And then I finished a book! And now the Internets are back up and I can post about it! And now I’m tired and ready for a nap……

6 comments:

Patti said...

Lucky for me I couldn't post while my power was out as I was one grouchy woman. Awakened when the power stopped and the fan went off, digging through a disorganized drawer in a dark closet for warm clothing. Discovering the Husband's cell phone was off after fighting w/Sprint for three hours last week and finally paying the bill only to have his phone shut off today, of all days, because of a few dollar's difference in what I paid and what they say we owe, having the power company tell me they can't find me in their system to report the outage (only been here 23 years), discovering my cell phone is dead (needs charging, not shut off)and the house phones are all portable, elec.powered and therefore not working, not getting my coffee until 10:00 at Starbucks while my phone charged in their outlet and then getting into a little disagreement with the son (12) who insists on spitting every three seconds as we walk to and from the car and continuing even after I told him to stop until I finally pulled out my mother of the year phrase and screamed at him in the Starbucks lot, "I am in a terrible, rotten mood...don't F**K with me". Luckily if anyone wrote down my license plate to call child services they won't find me because MY CAR IS IN THE SHOP and has been for five days and I have a loaner. Fuck. Whew. Thanks for the opportunity to vent on your blog so I don't have to go on record on mine for cursing at my lovely child. Thank God, the power is back and then a few hours later, the cable. I am calming down. Should do a yoga class, but will probably do a beer(or three) instead. Life is good, or at least light and warm again.
Hope you are feeling better.

Patti said...

Oh, yeah, I told my husband if the power was still off on Wednesday night I would commandeer a bar and turn the TV to Project Runway cause I think Jack is in some deep shit and something big is happening (or maybe they are jacking me around with their artful scene splicing and editing of the previews.)

Daisy said...

I was going to comment, but after reading about the Drawer Queen's day, I've got nothin' to complain about.

I love days off work for weather and I don't get them nearly often enough.

Suburban Correspondent said...

We never get too old for a snow day, that's for sure.

Kelley said...

thank gawd I am not the only one obsessed with project runway. fine use of exclamation points in a post, btw.

Anonymous said...

I am jealous of your Brie and French bread lunch! Sounds like a great day except for the pain and disasterous dough deal. Hope you are feeling tip top soon!