Friday, April 16, 2010

The Old Gray Mare

Poppy, who has changed her blog format to "beauty advice for women of a certain age”, wrote a post on going gray. I think she was spot on in her analysis, which is why I will continue to color my hair until the day I can no longer lift my arms high enough to reach the back of my head!

My mother, on the other hand, decided last spring at the age of 68 to stop coloring her hair. My parents knew by then they were moving to Our Town and my mother figured she would just make friends with people who didn’t know her when she DID dye her hair!

In consultation with her colorist (my mother and I have widely divergent views on what things are appropriate to spend wads of money on and which are not – but that is another post entirely) my mother decided to get a short cut after going several months without touching up her color.

After she moved to Our Town she started seeing my stylist and together they are working on growing her hair out a bit. I want you to take a look at this picture of my mother:



It is a candid shot taken a few weeks ago and I want you to note she is following many of Poppy’s suggestions.

  • Great cut
  • Great eye glasses
  • Still fit and trim
  • And you’ll have to take my word for this, still dresses well and has great accessories!

Mother will turn 69 in a few weeks. Something for me to aspire to, no?

4 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

You come from good genes, girl!

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Mom looks good. The color of her shirt is perfect.

Holly (me.) said...

I am simply refusing to color my emergent grays now to avoid having to grow them out later when such up-keep begins to feel burdensome. The grays, in return, are refusing to grow in where they would be visible.

Anonymous said...

Damn! That is my goal--to look like a silver fox JUST LIKE HER!