Friday, April 30, 2010

Mama Bear Sends Her Love

Green Girl asked, in response to a comment I left on this post, what DOES one send to college students in a care package these days?

I send four or five packages a year. Generally Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day, and finals weeks. Precious Oldest reports that word spreads quickly when a package has arrived for her and she usually has an audience when she opens it.

Every time I go to Target I swing through their dollar section. The stores I frequent have several aisles devoted to cheap sale items right up front. (Sometimes I throw in a Target gift card too.)

Holiday themed fleece blankets have always been a big hit!


My girls love socks, so those are always fun.




For finals snacks are a must and just plain silly things; sidewalk chalk, gumballs, Disney princess pens.


And, if you are a REALLY good mother, a box of Girl Scout Thin Mints you found squirreled away in the deep freeze gets added to the mix!


I do this the old fashioned way. I save boxes (shoe boxes, catalogue delivery boxes, etc.) and packing materials from the office.



The correct size box is important. Things should fit snugly to avoid to much shifting during transport.





I wrap them in brown paper.







I didn't say I did a good job!


If I get these in the mail today they should arrive Monday.

It isn't extravagant. It isn't expensive. It isn't hard. It just says we love you and we're thinking about you. Isn't that all anyone wants after all?

7 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Since my Sorority Girl is only 40 minutes away I see her at least once or twice a month.
I still do care packages, but they get handed to her in person...there's always some Bath and Body Works goodies in there and something I've baked.

By the way...she just decided to do the "6 year plan"...turning her major into a minor and doing another major.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

If I didn't have such a mailing phobia I'd do this--I think it must be fun to get a package like this.

Also? Boys only really like food (or maybe ammunition during duck hunting season).

Anonymous said...

I took notes. You have GOOD care packages!

Shelley said...

Definitely great care packages! Those must be so much fun to get! I guess my parents didn't feel the need, since my university was only about 3 miles from their house. :)

blackbird said...

That is just SO nice!
I'll bet she loves getting those packages.

Jen on the Edge said...

Love it. Must remember to do this in eight years.

Holly (me.) said...

I would consider going back to school for one of those care packages. :)