Saturday, August 16, 2008

Live From Beijing

I love the Olympics. Winter and summer. I'll watch anything, even the most obscure sport. I cheer like the athletes can hear me.

I love that the beach volley ball women are wearing bikinis. I love that the American gymnasts are old enough to be in high school. I think Michael Phelps is a doll, but it's Aaron Peirsol I'm considering adding to my list.

But do you know what I've been waiting for? Really waiting for? Dara Torres and her shot at individual Olympic Gold. If any of you consider her "old"? Shut it, she's still five years younger than I am. And she made the team. At forty one she made the Olympic team!

So, the splash and dash. The 50 meter free.

And...slow off the start...Torres is ahead..and SECOND! The forty one year old won a fucking SILVER MEDAL! How awesome is that?

4 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

There's some amazing stuff happening that's for sure!

Swirl Girl said...

She truly is amazing...and we are on the West Coast, and are tivo'ing the events of the evening.

I'll watch anyway - because I love the Olympics.

How eloquent was Mark Spitz last night talking with Michael Phelps. Truly inspiring!

Holly (me.) said...

Yay! I love watching the Olympics, but it is starting to catch up with me. Without the convenience of TiVo I find myself falling asleep mid-event, and not wanting to emerge from my too-short night's sleep the next morning...

Anonymous said...

Dara is amazing. I'm proud to be another 40-something with her.

And, by the way, speaking of 40-somethings, there's a little something over at my place for you.