Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Reprieve

So remember last week when, as Melissa so eloquently put it, I let a roomful of strangers get to second base? And then went for my mammogram? Well I got a call yesterday that they wanted to do an ultra-sound of the right breast. And could I come in the next day.

So this afternoon I went back to the imaging center and I don't mind telling you I was FREAKED OUT. I was all "I'm sure it's nothing" to the Saint, but holy shit people, our odds are one in eight that we'll get breast cancer and they increase as we age. (Ahem, not that I'm old or anything.) And damn, I LOVE my breasts. They're SPECTACULAR. If you run into me at a topless beach? The girls will be OUT.

Aaaaanyway, I have the ultra sound. When the technician was done she went to consult with the radiologist. So I'm sitting in this dimly lit room, looking at a screen, seeing what I think they were "concerned about" and trying to keep my shit together. When the technician walked back in the room, rather than the radiologist, I figured that was a good sign. It was. Cyst. Fluid filled. Not a solid mass. Nothing of concern.

But here's the thing ladies. If it HAD been something, they would have caught it early. Because I went in for my mammogram. So, I'll sleep better tonight. Will you?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's just a cyst and nothing more serious!

Daisy said...

I have a migrating lymph node, so I get to go through that little scenario every year. Glad you came through without issue.

Shelley said...

I'm glad it was just a cyst. That's some scary stuff right there.

I had my baseline 3 years ago, at age 38, and they saw something on the left side and sent me for an ultrasound. At the time, my 68 year old mother had just come through a bout with breast cancer, so to put it mildly, I was scared outta my mind.

I went for the ultrasound, and it turned out to be a stray (migrating?) lymph node. They said I didn't even need to come back until I was 40. Well, I'm 41 now and have been putting it off, but because of you and one other friend, I have actually made the girly parts appointment. It's on the 11th of Sept. I hate doctors, so I'm proud of myself for even calling. I just really hope there's only one other person in the room!

Patti said...

whew! Glad you made it through with the all clear!

Vanessa said...

Glad you got the all clear even if it required an extra visit and little more stress. I had one of those scares when I was 26 and had surgery because "they weren't sure". Scared the crap out of me!

Swirl Girl said...

First- thank goodness it's just a cyst.

Second- go for that tit squishing every year! One in 8 - damn!

Anonymous said...

;-) Thank you for a timely reminder.

Hilary said...

Thanks for the reminder to keep.. abreast of such things. ;)

Madame Queen said...

Amen, sister! SO glad it was nothing.

To everybody else -- GET CHECKED! :)

Anonymous said...

THANK GOD it was nothing. Whew.

And yes, that little Johnson girl is as adorable as they come! I secretly think the judges give her personality points.