Sunday, August 10, 2008

One Year

When I started this blog a year ago I felt fragile. My life felt tenuous and vague. I looked OK from the outside, but on the inside, Oy.

I was struggling with the realities of having gone back to the corporate world after an extended stay at home. I left the workplace in December of 1988 to be a mother and a homemaker. Jobs I enjoyed very much.

In 2005, with much upheaval and uncertainty in the Saint's industry, and more so within his company, I realized I shouldn't wait until I HAD to have a job to start to LOOK for a job. Let's face it, seventeen years out of the workplace isn't a 50 yard dash on the mommy track; it's a fucking MARATHON!

Additionally, I had failed to do any of the things one is supposed to do if they EVER plan on working again. I didn't work part time, I didn't "keep my hand in it", I didn't "maintain my contacts", I didn't "build a network". I had just walked away. I had to cobble together a resume with nothing more than leadership positions in every volunteer organization you can think of.

The first job I took was an unmitigated disaster that resulted in my resigning after only six months. As bad as it was, I learned a lot from the experience and the man who had hired me gave me such a glowing reference that my second job search lasted four weeks instead of four months.

I feel more settled now. Less anxious. Able to look ahead and know that I can do this; this "work" thing. (It helps that I'm being paid to do shit I used to do for FREE!) It's taken me three years to get my feet under me, to catch my breath, to adjust to my families time being dictated by someone else's timetable.

Writing here has been cathartic. Sharing my experience and hearing about the changes a lot of you are facing has made my journey easier. Outside of the Saint and the Precious Daughters, no one in my "real life" knows about this blog. I don't need to censor what I write here and that has been crucial to the therapeutic aspect of blogging for me.

All of this is a long winded way of saying to my readers that I thank you for stopping by. I thank you for your comments and insights. I thank you for sharing your experiences through your writing.

And if you ever wander over in the direction of Whoville, know that a comfy chair, a good meal and a glass of wine is waiting for each and every one of you!

14 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Congratulations on a year.

I admit I'm a little nervous about working full time--I go to school now, but it's not the same as an every day grind. Life is all about change though.

Suburban Correspondent said...

I didn't realize we had started about the same time! I, for one, will never forget your comment (on my blog) about the fog of entitlement that enshrouds teenagers' pea-size brains. It made me feel a little less crazy.

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary! I'm so glad we found each other!

Holly (me.) said...

Oooh, you are wise. I rather foolishly allowed certain relatives to know of my venture into the blogosphere--- and I totally cannot post 90% of the best material as a result. The ones tmost likely to drive me nuts are also the most entertaining... and the most easily offended.

哈亞斯 said...

Happy blogoversary!

Life beside the edge

Swirl Girl said...

Happy day to you. You summed up my life as a SAHM perfectly. And, Holly summed up my blogging life to a tee. The ones that annoy me most and would offer the most entertaining blog posts are the ones who are the most easily offended. Mom, sister, hubby.

Daisy said...

Happy blogoversary, Fannie. I'm so glad we "met".

Shonda Little said...

Good for you for taking a chance. With any big life change comes uncertainty. But your blog shows that you are an efficient person. I think you will do good!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your anniversary, many happy returns.

Returning to work is quite an adjustment isn't it!!!!!

Vanessa said...

Happy Blogoversary. I love reading your blog, hearing your stories and the uncensored way you write them.

Leanne said...

Hmm. Now I know why I stumbled on your blog.

I was just thinking this morning, with all the turmoil in hubby's world that maybe it's time this Mama started looking for full time work.
Sigh.
I've been home for twelve years too, my resume is gonna like uh, bad. I'm going back to read your posts for the last year....

Anonymous said...

How happy for you! I cannot imagine the transition back to the world of work. Brava to you! And congrats on your blogiversary, too!

Maggie, Dammit said...

I envy your freedom here. Looking back on my own blogoversery, I wished I had done a few things differently. I wish I had better preserved my anonymity.

So good on you, and congratulations! :)

Debie Napoleon said...

Happy Blogiversary! I hope when I am into this for a year that I feel as good as you do.