- He was an only child, unusual in the working class Catholic neighborhood he grew up in.
- He and my mother lived on the same street growing up.
- He was a paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne .
- He has an incredible zest for life. Whatever he’s doing, at the exact moment he’s doing it? Is the best possible thing one could be doing AND at the best possible place.
- He doesn't like to be alone; he doesn't even like to go by himself to put gas in the car.
- He is an Eagle Scout
[Warning, RANDOMNESS AHEAD: Along with my father, my brothers are Eagle Scouts, my grandfather was an Eagle Scout, the Saint is an Eagle Scout, as are HIS father and HIS brother. My mother was the Brownie/Girl Scout/Cub Scout leader for probably a gazillion years. I was a Girl Scout through 8th grade (I know, total dork right?) I was a Girl Scout leader BEFORE I HAD KIDS! I went on to be the Girl Scout Leader, Daisies through 6th grade, for BOTH of the Precious Daughters. So yeah, the Scouting? Is in our blood.]
- He (and my mother) can still ski, camp, hike, sail (and all manner of other activities ) in a way that would put people half their age to shame.
- He brags about his awesome roses, but truth be told he replaces half of the bushes every.single.year.
- He is never happier than when he is together with all of his children.
- He knows a little bit about a lot of things; and he's not afraid to use it.
- He only has two speeds; full on and asleep. (Seriously, I've seen him fall asleep standing up!
- He appreciates a good meal as much as I do.
- I hope he's around for a long, long time!
*Update on yesterday's post*
I WAS born in the Bronx.
I din't say OLYMPIC medal for pete's sake, see numbers 16 and 38.
I DO hate winter, despite being a kick ass skier, see numbers 12 and 49.
I DO shave my legs every day, see number 3.
I DID go to London when I was seventeen.
So - still waiting for a winner - carry on!