Friday, November 23, 2007

1980

In 1980 Jimmy Carter was President. A first class stamp cost 15 cents. The Winter Olympics were held in Moscow. The United Sates did not participate. Kramer vs. Kramer won the Oscar for best picture. The Phillies beat the Royals in the World Series. 52nd Street by Billy Joel won album of the year at the Grammys. I turned eighteen.



I graduated from high school in 1980. I was seventeen years old. Guess what my summer job was?















I'll wait.....



















You'll never guess.....


















OK, I'll tell you.









I was a runner for the Sedgwick Group on the floor of Lloyd's of London. That's right folks. At the ripe old age of seventeen my parents put me on a plane, alone, to go live in London for two and a half months. In a rented room of a stranger's flat. Riding the tube to the office everyday. To collect placing and signing slips to be taken to the floor for signatures. Shit you not.



What was your favorite summer job?


4 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Close, but no cigar, on 52nd Street. 1978 album, 1979 Grammy. I had to check that, because I remember singing the songs in junior high gym; and I wasn't in junior high in 1980. I loved that album! Wow, just thinking about it really takes me back.

Patti said...

I am hating you about now...that sounds awesome! My NOT favorite but most memorable summer job was labeling Crayola crayons at the Binney and Smith plant. Night shift. It was grueling, difficult, exhausting work. Good pay though. Your parents must have been amazing...would you send your 17 yr old to London? I barely let my 20 yr old study abroad!

TSintheC said...

Ack, I'm jealous.

My favorite summer job was Parks & Rec leader at a neighborhood park. I spent 8 hours/day hanging out with kids in the neighborhood in the sun.

Fannie said...

Heeeelllooo this was more a 'what the fuck were they thinking?" than anyting else. And, No I would not do the same today, but all things being equal? It was an amazing experience.