Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Left Overs

I do this every time my family comes to visit; buy way too much food. Part of it is wanting to have on-hand all the particular things that they like. Part of it is my not wanting to have to run to the store before every meal. But I hate to waste food. So for the last few days I've been thinking up ways to get rid the left over bits and pieces. Here's what I had to work with last night:

The kids drank way more root beer than milk.

Half a bag of shredded Cheddar and half a pound of Colby Jack.

Deli Ham? We don't eat it, not sure what I was thinking.



Sibs didn't drink all the beer.



Various types of bread

Hmmm...chilly day. Soup sounds good, how about Beer Cheese?

So I melted a stick of butter, grated and sauteed a half an onion.



Added about a half cup of flour.

Stirred in two cans of chicken broth.



Then two cups of milk.


I usually season at this point.



I added the cheeses.


(The Saint came home so I didn't have to cook AND take pictures!)

Pop open a beer.



Start thinning the soup.



When consistency seems right, throw in some ham.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!



What do you do with left overs?

5 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly you made there...

Shelley said...

It's beer cheese soup, of course. With ham. I've never heard of this, but it looks good, sort of. Was it good? Actually, soup of any kind doesn't sound too great, because it's still 90 degrees here. But if I were in the mood for soup, I might try a ham cheesy thing. Can you taste the beer? I don't really like beer. Am I rambling? :)

Daisy said...

What to do with leftovers? Darlin', you send them to me.

Patti said...

My best leftover eater moved to college and now I am finding I throw away way too much food. I am not creative with leftovers. There is almost NEVER a meal that does not need Hen House intervention. And, I am still trying to adjust my cooking volume from five down to three!
The soup looks good!

Fannie said...

Shelley - It was EXCELLENT and not so much with the beer tate. I don't even add a whole bottle, so it really just adds a layer of flavor.

Daisy - I'll cook, you bake.

Queen - I'm with you. Four to three has been weird and I'm already thinking about three to two!