Monday, November 26, 2007

Catch and Release

I used to say that my girls had an awesome catch and release program. Boys would come into their lives, hover about for a bit, and then be released to move on. Is it not only fair they be rotated back into the cosmic line-up after all?

The problem is that for the most part? The boys never actually LEAVE. Hell, I have "couch sitters" from three and four years ago that still circle around. Remember this sad story? The dude drove Precious Oldest back to school on Sunday! Seriously! The kid who was heartbroken! And when he came to the door? Can you say "awkward"? Do I give him a hug? Acknowledge the, ahem, "new" relationship? What?

Precious Youngest "went out with" a boy in eighth grade. (You do know they don't go anywhere? Or do anything? Except occasionally in mass numbers? Find a different name for it if all you do is sit on my couch and eat my snacks!) This boy is still around; a friend. Last year he dated a girl from a different high school. When they broke up? Precious Youngest kept the ex-girlfriend too. ( A good enough friend to lend Precious Youngest a dress when I was too mean to buy her one.)

This is not the silly break up, get back together, break up, rinse, lather, repeat either. I mean these boys come over to hang out. Have a burger. Watch the game.

So here's the question: Is this typical teen behavior or do my daughters need therapy?

4 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

That is so cool they bring them home and hang out there. My Anna would rather die. She won't even bring her girlfriends here.

Patti said...

It is a skill to remain friends with an ex and speaks well of their ability to form multi-dimensional relationships. I would take it as a good sign!

TSintheC said...

Don't know if it's typical, (Shortman is so painfully shy, I figure I'll be dead before I see any girls on my couch), but it's sweet.

Fannie said...

SC: I get banished to my room from time to time. Teenagers can only take our presence for a limited amount of time in a 24 hour period.

DQ: You are too kind.

Hot: You'd be surprised, we've had our share of "shy", and they're adorable!