Thursday, November 29, 2007

1985

* Editor's Note: I am phoning this in. Read at your own risk.

In 1985 Ronald Reagan was President. A first class stamp cost 22 cents. The Royals won the World Series. Amadeus won an Oscar for best picture. "What's Love Got to Do With It" by Tina Turner won a Grammy. I tricked the Saint into marrying me on June 22nd, 1985.

Let's recount the first time I met the Saint shall we? It was spring break of my junior year of college (1983). I had broken up with a guy I'd been seeing for a little over a year. For me, that was a very long time. I was not looking. I took off with my dad and Sib#2 for a ski trip. We went back home and I had a few days before I returned to college. I had only maintained one friendship from high school (not that I put heart and soul into the experience or anything). That friend was going to a local college and she wanted to get together while I was in town. It was St. Patrick's Day and we hit one of the local watering holes. (Don't bother doing the math - I was underage) She had started dating this great guy who had a roommate (the Saint) and the real agenda was that the Saint and I should meet.

Just as I was pleading that it really was time to go, who should show up but the boyfriend and the Saint. The Saint had on a green plastic derby and a large button that said "Kiss Me I'm Irish". And he preceded to kiss just about every girl in the place. Except ME. Later he admitted that I scared the shit out of him, but at the time I just remember being largely unimpressed.

Nonetheless, part B of the plan was underway. "The First Date." Sheesh. Tried to go to a restaurant that had a gazillion hour wait, so we went to some dive Chinese buffet. We followed that up with a super little movie called High Road To China. Never heard of it? There's a reason. Then back to bar where we met the night before. (Yeah, still with the underage drinking.) So we're having the first real conversation and he asks the inevitable:

Saint: "So, what's your major?" (I know, VERY smooth.)


Me: "English and Art History."


Saint: Snorting and with semi-derisive laughter "Who are YOU going to marry?"

Hee! I guess the joke's on him!

** Editor's Note Note: If I was not a pussy? And posted our actual names? You would realize that the true gold of this story is when young dewy eyed couple , after learning we've been married.....well....longer than they've been alive, asks "So, how did you two meet?" And I get to say "in a bar on St. Patrick's day?" PRICELESS!!

4 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Okay, I don't get it - is there something wrong with meeting in a bar on St. Patrick's Day? I feel stupid. Maybe my brain has stopped working. Enlighten me!

Mary Alice said...

I guess I need enlightening as well. And what was HIS major?

Military Man always tells couples that tell us they met in a bar, that we met in a barn. Which is true.

Fannie said...

SC: Nothing at all wrong with meeting in a bar on St. Patrick's day. As nice Irish Catholics should it have been any other way? But that story impresses the hell out of other peiople for some reason.

Mary Alice: Business. Hmph. Like that's so great or something. However, he did support this family body and soul for over sixteen years so I like to cut him some slack.

cadiz12 said...

all of my parents' friends think they had a proper and traditional arranged marriage, but the reality is that they met on a blind date. this isn't out of the ordinary to anyone but oldschool indian person. they find it to be SCANDALOUS.