Monday, November 19, 2007

There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays

I owe Shelley “Holiday Fun with Extended Family”. With Thanksgiving days away and Christmas looming allow me a moment to vent.

I have a very uncomfortable relationship with my mother in law. Other than the fact that she gave birth to the Saint, we have little in common. The Saint has a brother a couple of years younger who is unmarried and has no children, so we are in possession of the only grandchildren. I do not use the word possession lightly.

She and I had minimal contact when the Saint and I were dating. I was still in college and lived several hours away. We were engaged shortly after I graduated and for two years we lived in the same city where both sets of parents reside to this day. During those two years there were occasions when I believe a smarter person would have seen the writing on the wall, but I just…. didn’t.

The year we were engaged my family went skiing for a week over Christmas. We’d been doing this for years because it was the longest break from school. I however, was newly employed and lacking vacation time, so I did not go along. A few days before Christmas I was informed by the Saint that we were to arrive at his parents at 7:00 on Christmas morning. To open presents. With his parents and brother. Who was twenty seven years old. Because one couldn’t start Christmas until everyone was there. And that was as long as one could bear to wait. Do you see where I’m going with this? 7:00 AM? On Christmas morning? With no small children whatsoever? WTF? I showed up at the appointed hour, but I remember feeling ill at ease.

Then there were the oh so fun two Thanksgiving Dinner years. Because if everyone lives in the same town, you’re expected to show up both places. We've moved, but when we go back? Still two families to deal with. But I can’t, convincingly, eat two Thanksgiving Dinners. Go ahead, check my shelves, you will find no golden statuettes for my acting abilities. And while I recognize that families all have their own food traditions? Ours are better. (Oh come now, get off your high horse Missy. I bet you defend your stuffing/sweet potato/pumpkin pie recipe to the death!)

My mother took pity on me, I think after Precious Oldest was born, and started inviting my husband’s family to their home for Thanksgiving Dinner. Cooking for 20+? What’s three more? Slick right? One would think. But it will.not.be.enough.

We will stay at the In Law's house. We will share meals. We will sit in their living room and visit. They will come and share Thanksgiving Dinner and attendant festivities at my parent’s. On Friday we will assemble their Christmas tree, we will string their lights, we will put up their decorations. But the clock will be ticking. Movie with the cousins? Lost time. Chinese food Friday night with Aunts and Uncles? Lost time. “SIGH, maybe next year…...”

Christmas, more of the same. They will stay in our home. They will have my children’s undivided attention Christmas Eve. And Christmas morning. But it will.not.be.enough.

I'm bringing a case of wine.

5 comments:

Daisy said...

You may need something stronger. Want me to send you a bottle?

Suburban Correspondent said...

I hate to say it, but my most enjoyable holidays were when I didn't have to deal with family (except my kids, of course). Pass the wine.

Shelley said...

Oh Fannie, that well and truly sucks. The wine sounds like an excellent idea. I too, will be spending Thanksgiving at my in-laws house. My MIL and FIL are nice enough people, but it's my husband's bitch of a sister and loser of a brother that make it lovely for me. Luckily, I have (read: volunteered) to go to work at 3pm, so at least I have an excuse to leave. But I'm thinking some wine sounds good as well.

TSintheC said...

Oh Dear I feel for you. I went through this exact thing with my ex-in-laws. I don't miss them in the least.

They figured that since my family didn't celebrate Christmas AS BIG as they did, there was no reason for us to even see my family.

Now? My current mother-in-law doesn't like me or my husband (seriously, she told him this), so ... no problem. ;-)

Fannie said...

Daisy - I always travel with a bottle of Irish Whiskey.

SC - Only in my DREAMS.

Shelley - Sib#4 divorced the SIL we didn't like.

Hot - Nope, I'm the only one she doesn't like.