Saturday, November 3, 2007

1962

In 1962 John F. Kennedy was president. Johnny Carson came into our living rooms as the host of "The Tonight Show". John Glenn was the first American to orbit the earth. The Yankees won the World Series. Marilyn Monroe passed away. West Side Story won the Oscar for best picture. Henry Mancini won a Grammy for "Moon River". A first class stamp cost 4 cents. I was born in the Bronx, New York.

My mother loves to tell this story about my first year of my life. We lived in a small walk up apartment. She went grocery shopping almost every day and when she got back to the apartment my mother couldn’t get me and the provisions up the stairs at the same time. She had a choice; the baby or the groceries. So she would leave ME in my carriage at the bottom of the stairs, take the groceries UP, and come BACK for me. Her reasoning? People would steal our food before they’d steal a baby. She isn’t sure the same would hold true today.


What do you think?

3 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Oh, c'mon - today someone would call CPS if they saw that baby unguarded at the bottom of the stairs (though it would be nicer if they just offered to help with the groceries, huh?). Remember that brouhaha in NYC a few(?) years back because some Northern European woman left her baby in its carriage (asleep) outside a cafe while she ate inside? And she couldn't figure out what the problem was, because where she came from, that's what people did? In other words, she still trusted in the basic goodness of humanity? I think she could see the baby from where she was sitting, too.

Shelley said...

It sounds crazy to us, but I remember a halloween when my next-door neighbor and I, both 8 years old, went trick-or-treating by ourselves, and not just on our street. This was like 1975. I think about that now and wonder if my mom was crazy, but things were just different then. I also walked to school with a friend, by ourselves, when we were in kindergarten! It was 5 blocks or so. I can't even imagine letting two five-year olds walk 5 blocks alone now. You'd probably be reported to CPS.

Fannie said...

SC - No shit, but 1962 was a different world. Even in the Bronx!

Shelley - Oh yeah, we trick or treated all over the ZIP code, or so it seemed. The only supervision we got was my dad driving by in the car half way through so we could dump our loot and start fresh!