Monday, November 5, 2007

1963

In 1963 John F. Kennedy was President. He was assassinated on November 22nd in Dallas, Texas and Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in the same day. A first class stamp cost 4 cents. The LA Dodgers beat the Yankees in the World Series. Lawrence of Arabia won best picture at the Oscars. Tony Bennett won a Grammy for "I Left My Heart in San Francisco". "The French Chef" with Julia Child debuted on television. I turned one year old. We moved to Belville, New Jersey and Sib #2 was born.

I don't remember where I was when I heard Kennedy was shot; I was not quite fifteen months old. But I can tell you exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard John Lennon had been killed, when the Challenger exploded and when the Towers were hit. Every generation has certain defining events. Moments frozen in time that you remember in vivid detail even when you can't remember what you ate for lunch, or find your car keys, or you're scrambling through your purse for reading glasses when there is already a pair perched on top of your head.

What moments do you remember?

4 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

That's my year! And a darn good one, I might add. Did you grow up in New Jersey?

Fannie said...

I've lived all over, but spent a few formative years in Jersey. My parents grew up in Orange.

Anonymous said...

Why are all the "I'll never forget where I was that day" memories tregedies? While I do remember some of the ones you mentioned and will never forget, I prefer to remember the happy stuff like when my kids were born. I tell them in detail about that day on their birthdays. It makes all of us smile.

Shelley said...

The "where were you" things are definitely interesting..kind of like defining moments of your generation. The weird thing is that I don't remember John Lennon being shot. I watched the movie The U.S. v. John Lennon, and ever since then it's bothered me that I don't remember that. I was in 8th grade...I do remember Prez Reagan being shot, still 8th grade. Challenger, twin towers, yeah. Everyone has a story, and most of them are pretty interesting.