Monday, April 28, 2008

I tried to warn you

The next time I tell you I have nothing in draft mode but a bunch of whiny, self indulgent shit? Run for the hills people! That said, this would be a good time for you to offer up thanks that even I'm tired of my own whining. So I'll be moving on.

Spring is very pretty here. I have wonderful pictures of all our flowering tress. Still in the camera of course, but I'll try to get them up soon. The weather was decent enough over the weekend for me to work in the gardens. There is still a possibility of a frost, so I have to be careful what and where I plant. I have a ridiculous amount of garden area which requires an early start if I want to get everything done. The majority of my gardens are planted with perennials, but it's almost impossible to keep color here all summer without throwing in some annuals.

I got all of my pots (Begonias, Verbena, Vinca) planted because they're easy to move and protect if the weather turns. I also got most of a flat of Sweet Alysum in the ground; they don't seem to mind a little cold weather. As anxious as I am to put the tomatoes and herbs out I think the ground is still a little too cold. The asparagus, on the other hand, is producing like crazy!

Come the heat and humidity of August I'll be cursing the upkeep of all of this. But right now it just feels good to be outside in the fresh air - anticipating warm weather, fresh flowers and the flavors of summer.

3 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I have no time to garden this year. I'll live vicariously through you.

Suburbia said...

How lovely to grow your own asparagus! Thanks for visiting my place.

Daisy said...

I'm getting the planting bug pretty bad myself, butI'm forcing myself to wait until the 15th to avoid frost. I'm way too lazy to lug pots around or cover them up.