Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Pope and the HTS

One of my bleeps who hasn't flown in a while was asking advice about what to wear on the plane. Naturally I had many opinions to share with her. My general thoughts are these:


  • Wear comfortable layers*. The temperature on planes vary widely. A cardigan sweater can come in handy even in the middle of July. (*This doesn't mean "feel free to dress like a slob". No need to wear sweatpants with the word "Juicy" on your ass and your beloved sorority t-shirt that may, or may not, still fit. )
  • For the love of god wear shoes you can slip on and off without laces, buckles, etc. I don't care how much you work out; when you bend over to untie/unbuckle them? It will not be a pretty sight.
  • Wear SOCKS! You WILL have to take your shoes off and you do NOT want to be walking through security in bare feet.
  • PLEASE leave your enormous watch, belt buckle, chunky silver necklace at home. They will set off the metal detector and I will feel like beating you with them when you have to stop and remove them.


My rules, however, kind of fly out the window on international flights. If I'm spending ten plus hours on a flight? Dashing through multiple airports? And trying to get some sleep in uncomfortable surroundings? I'm wearing the track suit people!

Several years ago we took a trip to Ireland with the Precious Daughters. Who were MORTIFIED that their mother was wearing a track suit on the plane. They dubbed it the HTS (Hideous Track Suit) and took great glee in poking fun at me and my "old lady" need for comfort over style.

About a year later the Saint and I went to Italy. Against their protestations; I once again wore the HTS. You do see where this is going don't you? The plane landed late, we arrived at our accommodations (a convent BTW, by show of hands who wants to hear THAT story?) with only enough time to dump our luggage in the lobby before LITERALLY RUNNING down the hill to the Vatican to meet the Pope.

So let this be a cautionary tale. Comfort is all well and good but remember; what you wear on the plane MIGHT end up being what you wear to meet the Queen of England. Or the Pope.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of wearing pashima on planes, because they can double as a blanket.

When we go abroad (which is not often enough), I wear mostly black so that I'll blend in with the Europeans.

blackbird said...

You are a woman after my own heart.
(Is that how that goes?)
I agree with Jen, a pashmina is very handy. Especially if the plane smells.

Daisy said...

heh! I had forgotten about the bleeps!

What is with those JUICY sweats, anyway?!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I believe a similar rule applies to moms who drive carpools in p.j.'s!

Fannie said...

Yes Jen and BB - the pashmina rocks.

DaisyJo - I have no idea, but anyone over the age of twelve, oh dear lord ANYONE AT ALL, should seriously reconsider.

Jen - OK, I did once do a drop off in a nightgown and robe. But only once!